Friday, July 17, 2009

"I'll take 'My Dad' for 500, Alex"

I knew this day would come. I've been preparing myself emotionally so that the blow wouldn't knock the wind out of my heart sails. I've been telling myself that it's completely normal and a part of EC's independence blossoming right on schedule.

However, all that pep-talk and preparation didn't make it any easier on my mommy-heart when my very own son (who was being held by his dad) rejected me for the first time! He aggressively shook his head "no" and then proceeded to give me "the hand" when I nicely asked him to come to me--I know, disrespectful little stinker, right?

I repeated my request again (3 times, actually) thinking it was just a fluke, but he continued to shake his head then eventually snuggled right into the crook of his dad's neck bearing a tiny grin on his little face. He was 110% content with his dad, which isn't out of the ordinary, but he's never blatantly refused my request for snuggle time. Never.

Well, it goes without saying, but Nick was over the moon about all this. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face if he tried. So, being the nice person that I am, I decided to let them have their moment knowing full well my time would come again. And it did---about 2 minutes later. Thank goodness!

Now I realize this is just the beginning of him showing a preference for one parent over the other. And I'm aware that soon enough he'll think his dad is by far the coolest, smartest, funniest person on the planet, and that he'll want to spend every minute of the day with him doing manly things. I'm totally okay with that, and honestly, I look forward to it!

But it just feels good to be wanted sometimes, doesn't it?

Pictures below: Enjoying a simple, yet fun game of peek-a-boo under the dining room table with Dad. And yes, we (Grandma too) do crawl under the table with him, except we keep our pants on.








He loves to type on our laptops so Nick found a dead laptop in the basement and let him have at it. Problem is, it's dead. No beeps, pictures, or music. The novelty wore off much too soon, I didn't even get to empty out the entire dishwasher.


We're taking short trip to Kansas City this weekend. It was one of those spur of the moment ideas Nick came up with, but we're excited to get out of the house and hopefully the little man will be just as thrilled to see some new sites, sounds, people and places. Besides, it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive so how bad could it really be?

Have I mentioned EC has mastered squealing? Loudly?

Wish us luck.
Blog signature

1 comment:

  1. K has recently started clinging to me sometimes when I try to pass her off to Ian. While that's a lovely feeling, I know it's just a matter of time before I'm on the receiving end and I'm totally dreading it! I so get what you're saying! Likewise, she discovered squealing right before we flew to Phoenix. I'm sure it was better than a screaming sad baby, but not awesome! :) hope you're having a fantastic time in KC! Oh - and I'm glad to know that you grown-ups keep your pants on! 8)

    ReplyDelete