Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our New Normal

Our family is back in the saddle, we are finding our routines again and settling back into the groove of life. Well, for now anyway. I don't want to get my hopes up too much that I've found some much needed normalcy, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that the newness of our family has started to wear off a bit, for the best.

EC has accepted the fact that Alec is a permanent fixture in his home, er, in his life, for that matter. He is still very affectionate and doles out kisses about 62 times a day. He is such the little helper and let me tell you, he's all about doing things himself. Seriously, everything.

He has been keeping busy this summer, we started a Kid's Day Out program (if you're like me, you may have never heard of such a thing...but once you have kids you are let in on this hidden little treasure of a program) in which he attends once a week for 3 1/2 hours. This gives me time to do anything I want, with only a 6 week old to tend to. Piece of cake.

We've also started back up at the Y, and soon we'll be going 4-5 times a week. I'm taking it slow to start, as it's been a couple months since I've
gotten my heart rate up past 140bpm! EC used to really enjoy the Kid Zone nursery, but the past few times he's pulled out the big guns and let the crocodile tears flow. He's happy as a clam when I return an hour later to pick him up, so I think he's just pulling my leg.

Alec has also found his rhythm (for now). I bought the BEST THING EVER a few weeks ago. A miracle blanket, and it looks like this:




Yes, it does resemble a straight jacket. But once my little burrito is all rolled up, he automatically gets "sleepy eyes"...and I say a quick thank you prayer.












This is MY actual little burrito.

















This blue miracle blanket puts Alec into the deepest sleep. He still takes several naps a day, ranging from 1-3 hours each, and on a good night he will sleep for a 5-6 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour stretch. Not to shabby, right? I'm pretty certain EC woke up every 2 hours until he was 6 months old, or something horrible like that.

We're all really looking forward to seeing his personality peek though his newborness (nope, not a word). But he's still a teeny little babe who doesn't even realize he has toes, so we have a while to wait. However, if you could see his gorgeous blue eyes in person then you'd know in an instant he's going to be a heart breaker.

Hopefully my next post will be just as positive as this one, but in the meantime I'm not going to rock the boat and mess anything up with our new "normal". And right this minute, my house is very quiet. Both boys are asleep and I'm going to sit here and do nothing!



Blog signature

4 comments:

  1. What a handsome little burrito you have, I can't wait to see his eyes! Those blankets are the best- they are so easy! Glad you guys are getting into your routine and finding some time for yourself. The Kid Zone and KDO programs are such a lifesaver and a great prep for preschool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snug as a bug in a rug! Glad you found something that works for Little A. What a cutie! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you seem to be getting your bearings some... that's always a wonderful feeling! I'm anxious to get back to a workout routine as well and can't WAIT to start pounding the pavement again. Definitely will have to watch out for over-doing it (I have a tendency towards that sometimes ;)

    BTW... got your gift card! Will send a proper thank you soon, but wanted you to know that we received it and it will be put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes...the beloved "new normal" - it sure feels nice to gain some semblance of control over your routine again...I'm glad you've found your rhythm! Expect that new normal to be ever-changing but never forget there will be renewed feelings of calm in between each transition! I love reading about your boys. Your life is a reflection of mine a little over a year ago...

    ReplyDelete