Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dirty Laundry

Laundry used to be therapeutic for me. We used to be friends, best friends even. I actually enjoyed the washing, drying, folding and putting away of laundry. We enjoyed each other's company and had a nice give and take sort of relationship.  I could count on my laundry to always be there for me but I never felt smothered. Then things changed. I added an additional 3 pairs of legs, feet, and arms (who all need clothes) into my life and my special relationship with my laundry was forever ruined. I couldn't give it the attention it needed anymore and it felt left out and neglected.

Now it sits angrily in a pile on the floor, begging and pleading for my attention.  I swear I can hear it cursing me as I pretend not to notice how it has grown from a couple pairs of pants into a heaping, tangled mountain of ugliness. I'm pretty sure it even tries to trip me. At first I felt guilty, but now my laundry has taken revenge on me. It has multiplied itself into a million piles throughout the house and
demands I separate it into color and size coded piles. Seriously?! Frankly, its become too needy and I just can't deal with one more needy thing in my life.

Truth be told, it's a bit awkward when my laundry and I are in the same room. We even avoid eye contact. No matter what though, we are still tied to one another for the rest of our lives and I don't want to let the kids think it's okay to have a poor relationship with their laundry so I think its time we call a truce and end our battle.






Blog signature

3 comments:

  1. OMG, Sherry, Alec is soooo big! He looks like he's seven!

    I used to love laundry, too...it felt like I was getting new clothes every time I pulled them out of the dryer :) Then you have two kids and suddenly the amount of laundry is multiplied by 47 - what gives?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, laundry. Don't get me started ;) Let me know when they invent self washing laundry, heheheh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love this...I, too, have a love/hate relationship with my laundry. It's grown evil and I have taken on a horrible disdain for the sight of it. I never get farther than sorting it into baskets of Alex's clothes, Nate's clothes, putting away socks and underwear and throwing the rest in a "misc" pile...then the cycle begins again...it's vicious. I should wave a white flag in my house as well...:)

    ReplyDelete