Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Naptime Shmaptime

A shift has occurred in our house.  No, not a literal shift, though it may appear that way by looking at the mess of books all over the floor in the first picture below.

I've been playing with fire as far as naps go, Ethan is 4 1/2 and I've never once led on that most kids his age probably don't nap anymore. Why ruin a good thing?  Besides,  I enjoy my alone time and it maintains my sanity.  I can't say with certainty what is going to happen to me when both kids give up naps.  Someone might find me wandering around my backyard at midnight in my pj's, wearing sunglasses, drinking kool-aid.  

Alec, as you might have figured out if you peeked at the picture, is on nap strike.  It started not long ago, which surprised me because he's always been a rockstar napper as a toddler.  He's 2 1/2 and still in a crib, don't judge.  It works for us.  A few weeks ago Ethan taught him how to crawl out,  and that's when things started to look grim.  

This picture doesn't show his face too clearly, but if you could see it, you'd know he was mid-tantrum.  I'd put him down for his nap, closed his door and went downstairs.  A few minutes later I heard what sounded like thunder.  Books.  Lots and lots of books.  And an alarm clock, maybe even a bat mobile.  Bang, bang, boom.  I walked in with my video camera on (because he'll think it's funny when he's 28, as will I) and it didn't go well.  But it was entertaining.

I lost count after 38, but I picked him up and put him back into his bed at least that many times.  Finally, I gave in, which is probably #1 thing NOT to do according to Super Nanny.  I scooped him up and took him into bed with me.  He conked out in seconds and kept me sane.  


Actually, it's this little boy (below), who has kept me from losing my marbles.  He's truly been such a good kid lately, I'm almost scared to say it out loud.  I'm not saying he doesn't have his moments but overall, he's got such a good grip on things and just understands making good decisions.  He's so great with Alec and even helps me out when things get hairy.  

When I was dealing with Alec's nap the other day, I was frustrated and told Ethan to go potty then read himself a book and go take his nap.  His exact response was, "Ok, sure, Mommy. That's not a problem."  Love this kid. 

This is what he was doing when I walked in after putting Alec back in his bed.


Blog signature

1 comment:

  1. Can we swap eldest children for a couple weeks? A nearly 5-year-old girl is like a miniature teenager. Ugh. Actually, I'll swap our youngest ones as well since Ollie gave up naps a good six months ago.

    ReplyDelete