Saturday, June 7, 2014

STL Weekend

On a bit of a whim we decided to pack the boys up for a weekend in St. Louis recently.  And I'm happy to report that everything went really good!  The boys behaved, no speeding tickets, everyone slept well, the weather cooperated and we only lost one child.  Success!!

After checking into our lovely hotel, Embassy Suites in downtown, we headed out for a stroll near the famous Arch.  My mom and I had already taken the boys up there last year so we decided to just enjoy the view from down below.  It was such a nice day and everyone was out enjoying it because it was Memorial Day weekend.  After more sightseeing we headed back to the hotel for some swimming (the boys' favorite part) and then out to dinner at a great mexican restaurant, Rosalita's.  Nick dared Alec to ask the waitress if she was single, and of course he did because he had no idea what that meant!  It was pretty cute though and seemed to make her day.

Ethan wanted the picture to look like he was flying...looks pretty legit.

Nick let Ethan fill out the customer copy of our restaurant ticket, he left the waitress a $100 tip! Big Spender!

The next morning we had time to kill before The City Museum opened, so we drove around Forest Park.  So many things are in that park; the zoo, a boathouse, the planetarium, a museum, ball fields, golf course and I'm sure a bunch of other things I didn't see.  It's a lovely big place.

Then on to the Museum, the highlight of our trip.  No where on their website did it say to dress as though you were going to be climbing in and out of tunnels and caves and tree houses the size of your average 10 year old.  But thank goodness my mom gave me some common sense, I wore my gym clothes and am happy I did!  It was a workout!

First, if you've never been here before, the first floor (there's 4 of them, not including 2 outdoor roof areas) is all tubes, tunnels, mazes, caves, under/over/between spaces that you must crawl, or suck in a squeeze, through.  It's nuts, but kind of fun.  Had it not been a holiday weekend and not so crowed, maybe you could've let your kids just climb free, but the tubes and tunnels were endless and zigged this way and that and you were bound to lose a child no matter what.

The outside area was just as crazy, so many wire tubes to crawl up and in.  Two airplane were suspended in mid-air, joined by metal walkways.  An old school bus is literally hanging over the edge of the roof, you can climb into the bus and look down (though I suggest not looking down as it makes me dizzy just thinking of it!).  There was even a ferris wheel on the roof, but we didn't go because someone didn't have a good feeling about it and it wasn't me this time.

Do you see him?

Ethan and Nick climbed to the tippy top of the rooftop.

Alas, my last story about the Museum is about losing one of the kids, temporarily...we were ending our day when Ethan declared he'd climb up one more skinny twisty metal spiral tube, he was imagining he'd climb up it then easily turn around and climb right back down to meet his smiling family.  As you can probably image, he climbed up and so did about 489 other little sweaty kids.  After a few minutes Nick and I knew we'd have a lost child on our hands, so he went one way in search of him and Alec and I stayed in the spot I told Ethan I'd be.  It wasn't too long before I heard a familiar cry and turned to see my sweaty little boy being helped by a bigger boy running in my direction.  Ethan hugged me tight and I thanked the other boy for helping my lost son.  Through the choppy breaths and warm tears he explained that no one would let him back down the tube (they should clearly post ONE WAY ONLY signs, ha!) and he couldn't find his way back, but that a boy saw him struggling and offered to help.  I told him he was ok now and wasn't it nice of that boy to help.  My heart didn't race nor did I  panic because I knew he was just stuck up inside the intestines of a robot, but I also knew that what goes in must come out (eventually) and it all ended just as well as it began.

That evening the boys did some more swimming and then we went to a great little pizza restaurant called Pi, right across from our hotel.  It was a great end to a quick weekend getaway with the family.

Helping me with the luggage and so sad to be leaving the hotel (heltel, as Alec calls it).

Chocolate Cookie Car ride home.

Mr. Happy Pants

Blog signature

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I'll have to put the City Museum on our list the next time we are in St. Louis. Looks like you had a blast.